Learning to Say Goodbye

We have left Poland! It came somewhat unexpectedly, as we sat on the train. I was well aware we were going to Germany but it did strike me I was leaving Poland until I saw a train station with a German name. Sure enough I receive a text a few seconds later from my phone company saying I had switched country. Suddenly I was back to square one, in a foreign place I had never been before!

The first person I had to really say goodbye to was Emsi. We had been to the Brazilian party in Wroclaw and had arranged to meet her at 8pm. But thanks to the party and a few drinks (and hiding from Fat Jesus), it slipped everyone's minds. When we received a hurt message from Emsi, we didn't know what to do. It was late at night and her house was miles away. But someone (I'm going to guess Douglas) worked out what tram to catch, so we left, we really had no other option. Seeing her seemed awkward, sitting in her kitchen without enough chairs, late at night. We had half an hour before the last bus, so we talked about inconsequential things to pass the time. Eventually we excused ourselves and hugged her, promising to come back to Poland in a few years. I think Louise found it the hardest, as they were closest, and she didn't even want to go in the first place. I can understand that, it was how I felt when my friend Millie left for England.
Next was Rachel, who has been in my school group the whole time. It was in Hostel Babel and everyone was in the hall. After seeming calm Rachel suddenly burst into tears and hugged me, saying she would miss me so much. I hadn't expected to feel so sad, and soon I was crying along with Louise, Tatiana and Sara.
Since then everyone has been slipping away. We didn't met people from AIESEC that we promised to, once again thanks to the party. Some of the interns like Bruce left early in the morning and we didn't wake up in time. I still feel bad about that because some of them were a bit hurt.

Tomorrow I say goodbye to Joao, Sara, and Jessica, then Louise the next day. I will meet Leo, Tatiana and Douglas in Barcelona later. I don't want to say goodbye to my favela, and I don't think any of us realised the day had come so soon. We shared such a unique experience with each other, and now we won't see each other for at least a number of years, probably never all in one place. I think ending a project like this really makes you realise you need to appreciate time with people while you have it, because no experience ever repeats. Poland was awesome, and I will definitely go back to visit my friends in Wroclaw, Piotrkow and Olkusz. Even though Berlin is slick, multicultural and efficient, the people here don't have the same heart as the Polish.

Comments

Popular Posts